[Tagging] waterway=lock_gate - is it only for nodes?

Malcolm Herring malcolm.herring at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 17 15:16:21 UTC 2015

> their tagging scheme is somehow a parallel universe,

Not parallel, but in some cases complimentary. For 95% of objects there
are no overlaps with standard OSM objects. It is those 5% of cases that
do overlap that people notice & hence assume that OpenSeaMap have an
alternative set of tags for everything.

We always recommend that all natural and cultural features are tagged as
per OSM Wiki & only add Seamark tags where there is a non-coincident
definition and the nautical definition is of special navigational
importance.

Locks & their gates do not fall into that category & so we do not
recommend using Seamark tags for these objects. Where you may find them
is probably where data has been imported from S57 ENC charts & the
importer has not re-tagged (or double tagged) them.

Our renderer does understand both types of tags, although I cannot speak
for the authors of other SeaMap consumer apps.