[Tagging] Language - was Accepted or rejected?

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Wed Mar 18 06:44:10 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-03-18 at 07:27 +0100, Marc Gemis wrote:

> - language barrier, please don't forget that not everybody is capable
> to discuss in English. The Belgian mailing list suggest to discuss in
> English (to avoid the French-Dutch-German problem), but we had
> complaints that this limits the participation.

And thats a pretty good point. But to fork off each discussion onto a
new language list would fracture the discussion. We'd need a person
fluent in English and the other language to manage that situation, a big
work load and, I suppose, a big responsibility too.

Marc, do you find the English speakers here anything less than
supporting ?  What about use of expressions or references to popular
culture, does that make it harder do you think ?

> Translate the proposal in German, French, Spanish and Russian, ...

Is perhaps easier in that its a one off with some subsequent updates.
Again, a bilingual person needed to copy and translate the proposal and
register the translation on the original proposal so people can find it.
I'd like to see that but could not help !

Safe to say, as a native English speaker, I'd be very reluctant to
participate if it was in some other language. I feel for you folks !

David