[Tagging] Increasing voting participation (Was Accepted or rejected?)

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 08:15:46 UTC 2015

On 18/03/2015 6:21 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Everyone,
>
>   The outcome of a vote
> should really be phrased:
>
> "The following 35 people think that this proposal is a good idea and
> would recommend using it"
>
> rather than
>
> "This proposal has been accepted"
>
> because the latter really affords the whole process much more relevance
> than it actually has.

Agree. But I'd resist naming the people, something like this?

"This key:value was supported by 30 people on the OSM tagging group."

? As the proposal page remains on the wiki and can be seen by all there is no point in repeating the names.
The number of approval votes gives some idea of the value of the statement.

Unfortunately the status value remains as 'approved'.
Perhaps 'recommended' or 'endorsed' for the status? Even add the number there 'endorsed by 30'? .. 'supported' may be taken as being rendered so I'd not use that.

If 'we' want increased participation .. 'we' need to encourage membership.
And encourage new discussions on tags and tagging. No mater how 'inexperienced" some view the new member.

As the radius of knowledge increases the circumference of ignorance expands.