[Tagging] Increasing voting participation (Was Accepted or rejected?)

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 10:09:33 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 8:21 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

I said few years ago that "vote" should be replaced by "opinion poll".
This hasn't change in my view,

> It is however not true that tagging votes are an important core element
> of how we work; we can do perfectly fine without.

Yes and no. It is not a core element but getting feedbacks before
formalising a new tag is better than nothing even locally (like
imports, no ?). But it is true that a tag "approved in the wiki"
doesn't avoid bad tags. See the endless discussions around
"smoothness" or  "highway=ford" on ways or the use of abstruse
abbreviations for the non-natives like "ngo", "aed" or "asl".

> Even if certain things
> were tagged differently in different parts of the word, that would not
> break OpenStreetMap.

Only a fraction of us is thinking like this. Using 2, 3 or 10
different tags for the exact same thing is surely providing a job for
OSM consultants but is creating unnecessarily complexity for
contributors and data consumers. Wikipedia wouldn't accept two
articles on the exact same topic. It is our responsibility to keep the
project usable, even for new data consumers.

> "The following 35 people think that this proposal is a good idea and
> would recommend using it"
> rather than
> "This proposal has been accepted"

True.

> So please, don't go over board here by trying to force-involve every
> mapper in tag votes; they're simply not important enough, and they
> *should not be*. Don't try to make them important, lasting, or binding.

But the wiki is currently giving the impression that the "vote
process" is formal and important. So something has to be changed.

Btw, I don't think that translations will help. Some proposals don't
have many feedbacks simply because the interest is not shared by a
large group.

Pieren