[Tagging] Accepted or rejected?

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Wed Mar 18 13:27:40 UTC 2015

On 18.03.2015 07:29, David Bannon wrote:
>> And amazing how many people vote, compared to those that take part in
>> the discussion.
>
> Indeed. I find that strange. I'd never vote on something I did not have
> an opinion on. And, as you lot know, if I have an opinion, I share it !
>
> Maybe people just watch the chatter and make up their minds
> accordingly ?  Or do people who are not tagging list subscribers watch
> the wiki and vote when something interesting appears ?

Many people lack the time to watch the chatter, let alone participate.
Mailing lists such as this one demand a lot of time. How is someone who has
a daytime job and a family and who goes around mapping in his spare time
supposed to also spend 2 hours a day participating in mailing lists and web
forums? That's simply impossible!

For the same reason, I think that proposals should stay in "proposed" state
for at least 2 months, and that voting should also be extended to at least
one month, unless the topic of the proposal is urgent for some reason. Most
mappers don't read this mailing list, but they come across a proposal when
searching the wiki. E.g. when someone wishes to map a beehive he's seen this
morning, he'll search the wiki and he will find Proposed features/apiary.
This is a very good proposal, because it lists various possible tags so that
people can compare and make up their mind. A 2-week voting period after a
2-week discussion period obviously would have messed it up.