[Tagging] Accepted or rejected?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 22:09:16 UTC 2015

On 19/03/2015 12:27 AM, Friedrich Volkmann wrote:
> Most mappers don't read this mailing list, but they come across a
> proposal when searching the wiki. E.g. when someone wishes to map a
> beehive he's seen this morning, he'll search the wiki and he will find
> Proposed features/apiary. This is a very good proposal, because it
> lists various possible tags so that people can compare and make up
> their mind. A 2-week voting period after a 2-week discussion period
> obviously would have messed it up.

A person coming across something that they want to map and then finding
it on the wiki .. If that person is not on the tagging group then they
don't want to be concerned with making tags, they simply want to use
them. Leaving comments and voting open for years won't change that .. it
may simply confuse them as they want to use a tag .. if it is 'proposed'
or 'voting' status wise they may be discouraged from using it.

I see no point in having a proposal open for voting over 1 year, those
that want to vote have done so, the proposals voting should be closed
and resolved.

The apiary proposal
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/apiary
Promotes one tag and list other tags that could be used .. It has been
in comments stage for a few years .. abandoned? Sorry but I see little
point in leaving a proposal open for long periods of time .. all tags
will evolve over time .. no mater what the status 'inuse', 'approved'
etc still means they may change over time .. leaving them as proposed
does little for that long term change process.