[Tagging] Separating usage docs from design docs (was: Increasing voting participation)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 15:14:46 UTC 2015

> Am 18.03.2015 um 14:14 schrieb moltonel 3x Combo <moltonel at gmail.com>:
>
> Instead, how about revisiting the purpose of proposals pages vs key/tag pages :
> * key/tag pages would document the actual use (mainly observed via taginfo)

it is impossible to see  from taginfo what a tag is used for, and for what it can't be used. You only get statistics how much it is used

> * proposal pages would document a desired use (and include the current
> list of supporters/opponents)

+1

> * ideally both pages would reference each other (many to many), maybe
> using a "used/encouraged/discouraged by <link>" template

+1

> * key/tag pages could be kept up to date fairly objectively

I find this difficult. If I start using a tag in the belief that it means a, and after two years people decide that this was a bad idea and now it should mean only a*, am I to review all my previous edits?

Do we really need to change tag definitions, or would it be more sustainable to require new sub tags or alternative tags when the semantics should change or be amended?

> * proposal voters should put the page on their watchlist, in case a
> change in the proposal changes their opinion

see previous comment
also, I'd probably have to spend all day checking tag definition pages then ;-)

> * proposals should only be "end-of-lifed" if there is near-unanimous
> opposition and near-zero actual usage

+1, if at all. Near zero usage should be <10

cheers
Martin