[Tagging] Revisiting proposal/voting scheme

Kotya Karapetyan kotya.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 22:57:27 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:39 PM, David Bannon <dbannon at internode.on.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2015-03-18 at 22:21 +0000, Dan S wrote:
> > So here's how I would answer your question of how would "an interested
> > party [...] objectively determine what the discussion concluded":
> > instead of approved/rejected, some sort of visual widget on the wiki
> > page which summarised the {{yes}} and {{no}} with something like "76%
> > support [out of 98 opinions]". The poll would give a quick guide to
> > mappers, and encourage others to chip in with their opinion - any user
> > could add or remove their {{yes}}/{{no}} at any point.
> >

> Certainly a different approach !

Ahhm, not sure how it is different, but never mind. I will be happy if we
all agree on a good solution, and I definitely don't claim the authorship
of all the good ideas that have popped up here over the last couple of
days. I just tried to summarize it in something that looked to me like a
working solution. Dan, thanks for making a good illustration :)

> Quite a good one really. It meets my
> criteria  of giving a new mapper some guidance on what he/she should
> use.

Good to hear :)

> Add in taginfo data.

Yes: "*Opinions "for" and "against" are expressed in the discussions and
summarized at the top of the page (e.g. "advantages" and "disadvantages" of
a tag) together with the current usage*"

> And maybe a list of competing approaches so, again, its clear to a new
> user what the options are.

It clearly belongs a "see also" section IMO.

> I do think we'd need to have some (usage determined ?) end point
> however. Who is going to register their approval of, eg, highway= this
> far down the track ?
>
> I think data consumers also need a bit of certainty too.

End of what?
Usage, as discussed in another thread, is a vague criterion. Two tags may
have a full support of the community, one having thousands of uses and
another (for a rare feature) ten.
For data consumers---definitely yes, and I suggest it being the moment when
we remove the "proposal" status, so the page becomes a feature page. The
moment can be "w*hen the discussion calms down (which can even be defined
mathematically if needed**)*".

Sorry guys, no more spamming today :) Hopefully we'll converge to something
good, so these discussions won't be in vain :)

Cheers,
Kotya