[Tagging] Accepted or rejected?

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Wed Mar 18 22:58:57 UTC 2015

On 18.03.2015 23:09, Warin wrote:
> A person coming across something that they want to map and then finding it
> on the wiki .. If that person is not on the tagging group then they don't
> want to be concerned with making tags, they simply want to use them.

Compare it to politics. Many people don't participate in politics, but have
clear political opinions, and they will tell their opinions whenever they
can do it without effort.

It's much easier to leave a comment in the wiki on the fly than to
continously participate in a maling list reading hundreds of messages every
week.

> Leaving
> comments and voting open for years won't change that .. it may simply
> confuse them as they want to use a tag

That's fine. People should be encouraged to use their brains.

> .. if it is 'proposed' or 'voting'
> status wise they may be discouraged from using it.

They use it unless they find better alternatives.

> I see no point in having a proposal open for voting over 1 year, those that
> want to vote have done so, the proposals voting should be closed and resolved.

There were some proposals where I wanted to vote, but I missed the short
voting timeframe.

> The apiary proposal http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/apiary
> Promotes one tag and list other tags that could be used .. It has been in
> comments stage for a few years .. abandoned?

I think that the "abandoned" status should be renamed, and that its colour
should be gray or yellow instead of red.