[Tagging] Accepted or rejected?

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Wed Mar 18 22:29:56 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-03-19 at 09:09 +1100, Warin wrote:

> I see no point in having a proposal open for voting over 1 year, those
> that want to vote have done so, the proposals voting should be closed
> and resolved.

Hmm, I disagree. Just because the proposal did not get enough votes does
not mean it should disappear. Mappers looking for a suitable tag can see
it, decide after reviewing its flaws to use it. And it may well become a
widely used tag.

My guess is the proposer was disappointed in the initial RFC response
and decided he'd not get the votes.

Remember, being voted in is just one way a proposal becomes 'approved'.
Wide usage is the other (main one). Having that proposal listed gives
users firstly, some guidance and secondly, a chance to decide for
themselves.

It is not easy to get usage numbers for many unapproved tags, perhaps
thats worth addressing ?

David