[Tagging] Fuel shops

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Mon Mar 23 13:55:57 UTC 2015

On 23.03.2015 11:02, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> An amenity is something the /general public/ might like or use or want to
> visit. These little shops are definitely not that. They sell small
> quantities of fuel, usually 2 or 3 liters, to local motorcycle drivers.

That's why the general public might like to visit these shops - or any other
fuel station.

Ok, if it's only 2 or 3 liters, it's not really a fuel station, but rather a
shop=car_parts. Anyway, we don't need to invent a new tag.

> And
> the Wiki's definition of shop is: "A place selling retail products or
> services."  Too brief perhaps but it does allow for a wide range of additions.

Cafes, restaurants and theaters sell retail products or services as well.
You can use either of the amenity=* or shop=* keys, you just need to stick
to it.

> Meanwhile, until the renderers get smart, people are going to travel to
> these shops hoping to fill up their SUVs. This is exactly what I'm trying to
> avoid. I do not see why there is so much resistance to adding another value
> to the shop keys in existence. There are some pretty strange special values
> out there:
> shop=bag
> shop=e-cigarette
> shop=fashion  (??)

One evil cannot justify another evil. I never set the shop=fashion tag,
because it's just a useless synonym for shop=clothes.