[Tagging] Fuel shops

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Mon Mar 23 16:03:36 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 4:23 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:
>>> I agree with amenity=fuel + a subtag like these (if needed).
>>
>> This is not the way to go.
>>
>> An amenity is something the general public might like or use or want to
>> visit. These little shops are definitely not that.

+1 here.  Tagging these as amenity=fuel violates the human expectation for
what a fuel shop is.
Especially if rendered, it degrades the value of the existing mapping, by
making OSM feel unreliable.
This is similar to tagging undrinkable drinking water, toilets that can't
be used, or a roadside strawberry stand as a convenience store in order to
get it render.  It makes it harder to find proper fuel on the map.

shop=fuel is semantically good, but almost certain to be confused with
amenity=fuel.

These stands are also far more volatile than a proper fuel station.  And
once they cease business
very hard to un-map.  With a proper fuel station you can hope to eventually
remove stale data via high resolution imagery.
With the* amenity=neighborhood_fuel_vendor* you have no chance of armchair
mapping it away.