[Tagging] Fuel shops

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 10:28:55 UTC 2015

There's no need to remove it since it's clearly understood by most people
to mean tools, custom items, maybe even tickets to an auto show.

Motor oil is sold at a car_parts shop because it is non-volatile and
therefore poses no fire or explosion risk. This is emphatically not the
case with gasoline and its relatives. Plus, a significant profit can accrue
from its sale.

So, while these observations are interesting, let's put them aside and
discuss the issue of shop=car_parts some other day.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

>> Petrol is similar to motor oil, both are fluids made from mineral oil.
>> Diesel is identical with light fuel oil. So this is clearly the same group
>> of products, especially when sold in equally small quantities. What else
>> is
>> the "etc." supposed to mean?
>>

> I think that the "etc." is indeed not helpful and I'd remove it from this
> list. Also motor oil is not a "car part" in my understanding, but it is
> typically found in shops that sell car parts, so this is why it got its way
> onto this list. But "petrol" is not on this list, is not a car part, and so
> these places should not be tagged like that IMHO. Mineral oil (I think you
> meant to say "crude oil") is the basis for lots of things, including
> plastic (e.g. also textiles), tar, lighter fuel, even coke. Now shops for
> car parts do indeed sell textiles, so the circle closes here.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska