John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Mar 25 21:43:54 UTC 2015

Jan, I looked at the link to your home page in the email - wow!

It looks like you've been all over Africa in that special truck. If the other taggers haven't looked, check out the link in his email signature.

I feel that you know what you are talking about - if you think there needs to be a non-designated tag for his situation, I think you have the experience to say they exist.

Non-designated seems a little odd (informal is a synonym) - but I liked your word "opportunistic"

I really like cascading values, like the list I made earlier.
Then the value list as I see it is:

Designated
Unimproved
Opportunistic
Informal
Trekking

Opportunistic-
A designated camp site that is operated by an adjacent business when local demand for camping space occurs. Amenities offered are usually part of the permanent business, such as a motel. Particularly common in developing countries.

I suggested trekking sites because my experience says that very remote camp sites in wilderness parks are nice - but shouldn't be given an icon similar to a formal camp site or even informal ones like a turnout, because of severe access restrictions. We don't want to trick anyone into thinking there is anything other than a good tent pitch (no car access, no amenities, etc), as the assumption of shelter, food, access or water in a remote environment (and it turns out there is nothing) could kill someone. If you feel they need to not be included now, or in another tag, then drop it.

I want there to be a big separation between designated, informal, and trekking.

Javbw