Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 22:45:38 UTC 2015

On 27/03/2015 9:18 AM, David Bannon wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-03-26 at 12:36 +0000, Jan van Bekkum wrote:
>> Non-designated is not necessarily temporary. Some hotels may offer the
>> service for many years, but it is not officially announced and not
>> listed. For overlanders this information is too important not to have
>> it mapped somehow.
>>
> I still think the the problem is the word, "non-designated". Its a
> contradiction IMHO. Just about everywhere is non-designated, what makes
> these particular spots special ?  The answer is that they are somehow
> "sponsored" by some hotel or what ever.  So would a better approach be
> camp_site=sponsored  ?
>
> You are camping there because the Hotel either encourages, or at least
> does not discourage camping. I guess they get some benefit and they may
> provide some services and do provide some security. The defining
> characteristic of this camp site is its associated with the Hotel.

The general area  has no camping facilities of any kind.
The hotel provides basic services (access to toilet and maybe showers) due to the demand but they don't really 'encourage' camping.
Some places in India do the same .. and they are not hotels by any description! Road side fast food + bar would be a better description.

> Would that cover the Kite Club you mention ?  Is the Kite Club a
> sponsoring body ?  Or just a name for a location ?

I'd think there is a group of people that fly kites .. and they have a club building there. They make some money by letting campers use their facilities.

> If its just a location, then camp_site=basic sounds like it fits.
>
>       (camp_site=* ) -
> sponsored = A place to camp near a (commercial?) operation that may
>              provide some limited facilities and security.
> basic = nothing other than an area to pitch a tent or park a vehicle.
> standard = Basic + toilets and water
> serviced = Standard + shower + power
> fully_serviced = Serviced + camp kitchen + Laundry
> deluxe = Fully_Serviced + swimming pool/restaurant
>
> David

In some parts of the world you can get basic accommodation at religious facilities (churches, mosques to name two).
The world is a big place .. what is appropriate to be mapped in one part may be inappropriate in another.
So tags that are required in some parts may not be suitable for use in others.