[Tagging] Tagging method of amenities at camp_sites

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Sat Mar 28 07:37:44 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:17 PM, Jan van Bekkum <jan.vanbekkum at gmail.com>
wrote:

> What do I see on the map when I use the stacked amenity model?

Tagging for today's rendering is hazardous.

The stacked amenity model is quite common.  Nothing seems broken about it
at all.
For example:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1225292499/history
There are thousands like that.

> If I (roughly) know the camping perimeter I can place the amenities as
> nodes or buildings within them. Having three nodes close together but not
> at the exact location is not worse than having a single stacked node  which
> isn't a the exact place either. If you don't know the perimeter at all draw
> something that clearly isn't the real shape ( a small square or a circle)
> and put all nodes within it.

Sometimes the amenity you want to map can't even be assigned a proper
geometry (for example internet_access=wifi).

Creating fake geometry in order to get nodes to render would push things in
a really bad direction.  Next we'd be talking about
how many meters apart to space fake nodes so they render properly.

I think the proper tagging proposal here is: no tagging proposal at all.
It's all working just fine.

> A search in OsmAnd will give me the campsite in all cases,  but it cannot
always show all tags below it

Then speak to the OsmAnd developers abound rendering known amenities
highway shield style:

Don't tag for OsmAnd.  Tag for tagability.  Tag for ease of understanding
by non-English speakers.  Tag for data preservation.  But don't tag for a
particular rendering.