[Tagging] RFC - obligatory usage - bicycle=obligatory

Hubert sg.forum at gmx.de
Sat Mar 28 13:07:14 UTC 2015

There will always be cases where a new tag is "breaking data". Just consider those :right/:left/:forward/:backward tag.
The support of bicycle=designated is great, but in many cases it's IMO wrong.
While highway=cycleway + bicycle=designated (22198 uses in DE) just seems unnecessary, since cycleway implies designated. Why do people tag highway=cycleway + bicycle=yes (8036 uses)?
>From what I learnd people want to differentiate mandatory cycleways from others. Right now they are using the difference between (official vs.) designated vs. yes for that. I'll add some more numbers to the proposal page later.
While bicycle=use_sidepath does solve the routing problem, there is no (easy) way for renders to use that information on the cycleway itself.