[Tagging] RFC - obligatory usage - bicycle=obligatory

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Mar 28 14:45:44 UTC 2015

Am 28.03.2015 um 15:31 schrieb Hubert:
> For example a lot of cross country cycleways (like this one https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Altmarkrundkurs.jpg )
> can't possibly be mandatory, since there is no road next to it. But they are designated and official.

There is no such thing as non mandatory cycleways in Switzerland,
however there is no expectation that I use every possible cycleway in
the country every time I get on a bicycle.

Naturally the concept of mandatory only makes sense when there is an
alternative road surface nearby that could be used instead. I see no
point in subjecting the whole world to yet another bicycle tag just
because the German legislative decided that it can't count on its
populace turning its brain on.

Essentially what they are saying: these ways are not mandatory because,
since there is no alternative, you have no choice than to use them.

Simon