[Tagging] [OT] Licensing of information from websites

Hans De Kryger hans.dekryger13 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 12:36:53 UTC 2015

On Mar 31, 2015 4:55 AM, "Andrew Guertin" <andrew.guertin at uvm.edu> wrote:

>> I wonder that nobody so far did spell out a warning about adding
>> information from websites. The simple key website=* is ok, but every
>> information like address, prizes and all the amenities is most of the
>> time not usable due to license problems.
>>
>> cu fly
>

> I'm pushing this offtopic and this discussion should probably go to
legal-talk (I've set reply-to there), but that paragraph does not match my
understanding of copyright law (IANAL, etc.).

> My understanding is that a piece of information like an address or phone
number is a fact and is ineligible for copyright protection. If the fact
has been collected into a database, though, the database is in some
countries eligible for protection under a separate form of IP.

> Thus if you go to a business' website to find their phone number and put
it in OSM, everything is okay, but if you go to a phone book to find it,
that's not okay and you could impact use of OSM in jurisdictions that have
database protections.