[Tagging] Tagging of pitches within a campsite

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Sun May 3 00:29:59 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-05-02 at 13:39 -0700, Tod Fitch wrote:
> It may be common in some areas to allow pitching tents anywhere within
> a designated area. But I have mapped a couple of backcountry
> (backpack) trail camps that have a numbered post at each pitch,

Indeed. We need to cater to the full range, formal, marked boundaries
through to unnumbered indistinct areas. The key is that they are
somehow, intended to be used as a camp site (woops, "pitch").

The next level would be larger areas where its possible to set up camp
anywhere (except, typically near streams). I think that's the spot we
stop trying to map pitches. The overall area (which may be a whole
national/state park) needs some annotation to say is OK to camp but that
is beyond the scope of this discussion.

David