[Tagging] Tagging of historic=monument

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu May 7 05:11:43 UTC 2015

There is confusion between monument and memorial ... suggest follow the
definitions under the OSM tag historic .. where
monument is large ... as in you can walk inside it, over it.
memorial is small .. say a plaque

I have re-tagged some of the 'monuments' to 'memorials' where I am
familiar with them. They became eveident due to my use of OAMand that
renders these tags.
If other renders were to do the same then more mappers would be aware of
the problem and it would be corrected with local knowledge.
So rendering these without any correction will lead to corrections
taking place as required with the best knowledge - that of the locals.

--------------------- Off topic
On 7/05/2015 11:18 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:

> It would help if the agency certifying the monument were identified per
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/heritage

That proposal has no listings for  Australia (possibly
www.*nationaltrust*.org.au/ ?) and ignores British
www.*nationaltrust*.org.uk/ ?
I've no idea how the 'level' is decided .. while it gives some examples,
it does not look like it has any explanation of how to determine this.
It is a proposal ... and needs some work? Certainly more explanation. At
the moment I cannot use the heritage tag.