[Tagging] How to model sidewalks, crossings and kerbs with respect to routing applications?

Stefan Hahmann stefan.hahmann at geog.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu May 7 15:57:30 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I would like to raise a discussion about possible options of how to
tag/model sidewalks, crossings and kerbs with respect to routing
applications.

As this can get quite complex, I have put some illustrating figures on
this discussion page in the OSM Wiki:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:footway%3Dsidewalk#How_to_model_sidewalks.2C_crossings_and_kerbs_with_respect_to_routing_applications.3F

Any feedback either via this list or directly on the discussion page is
welcome.

My current favourite would be either solution 3 (which is easiest to
implement in current routing engines) or solution 1 (for the sake of
actual correct modeling). Maybe there are even more (better?) solutions?

Best.