[Tagging] Tagging of historic=monument

Brad Neuhauser brad.neuhauser at gmail.com
Thu May 7 16:03:08 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 12:11 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is confusion between monument and memorial ... suggest follow the
> definitions under the OSM tag historic .. where
> monument is large ... as in you can walk inside it, over it.
> memorial is small .. say a plaque
>
> As far as I can tell, the distinction is about size, but vague words like
"small" and "large" used, and the examples given are at the extreme ends
(building vs. plaque). People need more guidelines to know where the
dividing line is in the middle. For example, is there a certain height (3m?
5m? 10m?) where a tower or pillar changes from memorial to monument? Or a
certain amount of area (10 sq m? 25? 100?) something covers to change from
memorial to monument?

By way of example, on the historic=memorial page, there is a photo of a
stone cross over 5m tall which could certainly fit the way monument is
defined on that page "An object, especially large and made of stone, built
to remember and show respect to a person or group of people"

I don't especially care where the line is, but if people are concerned
about mistagging then this should be clarified.

Thanks, Brad