[Tagging] How to model sidewalks, crossings and kerbs with respect to routing applications?

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu May 7 18:49:13 UTC 2015

Thanks for starting this conversation with a wiki document to aid in the
discussion.

One of the statement in the wiki "How to handle situations where the kerb
is not identical on both sides of the sidewalk (however: probably a rare
case. In this case the worst value could be tagged)?" doesn't fit with my
experiences. My experience from in living in big cities and small towns is
that kerbs are not always the same on both sides of the street. Certainly
not rare. Big cities often have kerbs on both sides the closer you get to
the center of the city. The further way then kerbs seem to be optional.

Like sidewalks, kerbs could be assigned to the road as in
both/right/left/none. But that doesn't solve the problem of crosswalks.
Since crosswalks are nodes, it is impossible to tag one side as wheelchair
accessible while the other side isn't. The proposal to add a kerb node to
the footpath works, but that leaves out the remainder of the road. Which
might indicate that it would acceptable for a wheelchair to cross in the
middle of a road. (It is probably a silly assumption on my part.)

A better approach might be to assign kerbs to road and add a node to the
footpath indicating the type of kerb at the crosswalk.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us