[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 68, Issue 35

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue May 12 11:19:33 UTC 2015

> I only now, after having lived for many years in the UK, I realise that
> the definition of gravel is wider than the equivalent of the German Splitt.
> I thought them equivalent.
>
> Looking it up in the English Wikipedia I found contradictory information.
>
> In
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravel_road
> "gravel" is "crushed stone" and raoughly aequivalent to the German Splitt
>
> But in
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravel
> "gravel" is more generic and can, for example,  also be pebbles of
> different sizes.

from my researches it seemed that gravel was completely different to Splitt
and wouldn't contain it. But I now have looked at yet another dictionary
and it seems to be included (because "pounded" is likely a synonym for
"crushed" here):
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/gravel

So my conclusion is that gravel can be either naturally worn or crushed
stone and is about the grain size. Please note that "Splitt" is only
appropriate for crushed stone, otherwise you would have to use "Kies"
(pebbles).

Cheers,
Martin