[Tagging] General tagging system problems (was: shop=confectionery / pastry / candy / sweets)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed May 13 08:46:15 UTC 2015

> children + education + building (= school building)
> vehicle + education (= driving school)
> area + tree (= forest/wood)
> building + sleep (= hotel/hostel/...)

I'm not convinced that such a generic approach will help to get unambiguous
tagging, e.g.
children + education + building (= school building)  -> architectural
school? language school? ...
vehicle + education (= driving school) -> self learning autonomous
vehicles? school bus? a bus that offers educational services? ...
area + tree (= forest/wood) -> a big tree? an area foreseen for trees? an
orchard? ...
building + sleep (= hotel/hostel/...) -> a motel? a dormitory? a matress
factory? ...

There's a reason we don't use just a few words in our natural language but
rather a plethora of specific words plus grammar (word order etc.) to
express ourselves. If a few words would suffice we wouldn't have developed
all those words ;-)

cheers,
Martin