[Tagging] amenity vs. shop *=ice_cream

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Thu May 14 17:06:26 UTC 2015

W dniu 14.05.2015 18:44, Mateusz Konieczny napisał(a):

> As difference is not obvious from tag key/values I guess than most
> (nearly all?) *=ice_cream are tagged by people no aware or not caring
> about such nuances.

+1, that makes some noise (=avoidable errors!) in our database.

> Effect is like with natural=wood/landuse=forest. It does not matter
> what is written in description of tagging schemes. Expecting any
> difference in how these tags are used is naive.

This + all the examples in my thread about general categories, and one
more - shop=travel_agency/office=travel_agent and
shop=ticket/office=ticket ambiguity (discussion regarding rendering an
icon for travel agency is here:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1409 ).

Those multiple issues become obvious, and I think it's good - now we
know they are not simple tagging errors, it's a systematic problem. The
question is how should we deal with it? In theory (dropping "top-level"
keys and making it ice_cream=yes or maybe object=ice_cream?) and in
practice (how to make the transition?).

down" [A. Cohen]