[Tagging] amenity vs. shop *=ice_cream

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu May 14 17:41:15 UTC 2015

> Am 14.05.2015 um 18:44 schrieb Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at gmail.com>:
>
> Expecting any
> difference in how these tags are used is naive.

I agree, mostly, there is a difference in amenity=cafe cuisine=ice_cream, you can be sure there will be table service and they will usually also sell cups of ice cream (compositions with ice cream and fruit). These are typical e.g. for the areas of Germany with Italian immigration, while you hardly ever have them in Rome. Also a mobile ice cream man would more likely be tagged as amenity, not as a shop, while a shop would always be within a building or other structure, an amenity could or not.

FWIW, there's also an attribute
sells:ice_cream=yes/*
it's used a few ;-) times with values "yes" and "industrial", but I could imagine also "artisanal"
This could be applied to every place selling ice cream, eg petrol stations, bakeries, news agents, kiosks, hotels, rent a boats, miniature golf, view points, restaurants, video stores (do they still exist?), beach resorts, pubs...

Also the craft key will have a value for ice cream makers (I guess they are a part of confectioners) and could be used to distinguish ice cream makers from the "resellers"

Cheers
Martin