[Tagging] Tagging FOR the renderer

pmailkeey . pmailkeey at googlemail.com
Fri May 15 23:58:20 UTC 2015

On 16 May 2015 at 00:40, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 05/16/2015 12:03 AM, pmailkeey . wrote:
> > I don't know whether this has been discussed or even mooted before...
>
> Often.
>
> > Tagging for the renderer is natural. Mappers, especially newbies will be
> > disappointed their pet new feature they've just added to the db does not
> > appear on the map.
>
> Thing is, there is no "THE" map.

THE map is here: http://www.openstreetmap.org - supposedly.

However, everyone should look here:
http://openstreetmap.us/iD/master/#background=Bing&map=2.00/-1.8/53.8

as this is a more complete map.

> There's tons of maps in various colour
> schemes and designs, as well as tons of non-map uses of our data, and
> this is one of the super strenghts of OSM - we record that there's a
> motorway, and the map maker can define how they want the motorway drawn.
>
> Your suggestion would kill that flexibility, and everyone would have to
> adhere to that one colour scheme set up by the mapper or editor. It
> would totally run against everything we hold dear.

Not at all. I'm suggesting additional tags for basic graphic properties -
and for  http://www.openstreetmap.org to make use of these ADDITIONAL basic
tags. All other maps and rendering would be totally unaffected.

> What you are talking about is essentially "MS Paint with multi-user
> capability". That's certainly an interesting project in itself but not
> something that we should remotely consider in OSM.

Why shouldn't a user who adds a new feature to the db be allowed to
'suggest' how it appears on 'THE' map ? Once the feature is designed to be
'properly' rendered, the basic graphic tags can be removed.
I'm suggesting that these additional basic tags are used on a temporary
basis but would not oppose their permanent use if others agreed.

--
Mike.
@millomweb <https://sites.google.com/site/millomweb/index/introduction> -

*currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property
& pets*

T&Cs <https://sites.google.com/site/pmailkeey/e-mail>