[Tagging] Tagging FOR the renderer

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sat May 16 00:39:22 UTC 2015

Regardless of people's views on this, the reality is that one of the main
reasons people get involved with OSM is because they want to see the things
they tag show up on a map somewhere at some time. In my case I wanted to
see the roads and features in my areas of interest (Alaska, Thailand) show
up on my Garmin GPS. Now that I'm compiling my own maps from OSM data I can
choose to render the things I like in my own way.

But the point i'm trying to make is that because I have created my own
custom icons for things I like, for example milestones, radio and
observation towers, motorcycle shops, to name just a few, I find myself
tagging them more often than before. I do it because I enjoy seeing them on
my GPS. I can therefore adhere to OSM guidelines and tag things properly
but because I am the renderer in question, I can also legitimately "tag for
the renderer".

Tagging for the renderer isn't going to go away anytime soon because IMO
almost everyone wants to see "their stuff" on a map.

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 4:58 PM, pmailkeey . <pmailkeey at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> On 16 May 2015 at 00:40, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 05/16/2015 12:03 AM, pmailkeey . wrote:
>> > I don't know whether this has been discussed or even mooted before...
>>
>> Often.
>>
>> > Tagging for the renderer is natural. Mappers, especially newbies will be
>> > disappointed their pet new feature they've just added to the db does not
>> > appear on the map.
>>
>> Thing is, there is no "THE" map.
>

> THE map is here: http://www.openstreetmap.org - supposedly.
>
> However, everyone should look here:
> http://openstreetmap.us/iD/master/#background=Bing&map=2.00/-1.8/53.8
>
> as this is a more complete map.
>

>> There's tons of maps in various colour
>> schemes and designs, as well as tons of non-map uses of our data, and
>> this is one of the super strenghts of OSM - we record that there's a
>> motorway, and the map maker can define how they want the motorway drawn.
>>
>> Your suggestion would kill that flexibility, and everyone would have to
>> adhere to that one colour scheme set up by the mapper or editor. It
>> would totally run against everything we hold dear.
>>

> Not at all. I'm suggesting additional tags for basic graphic properties -
> and for  http://www.openstreetmap.org to make use of these ADDITIONAL
> basic tags. All other maps and rendering would be totally unaffected.
>

>> What you are talking about is essentially "MS Paint with multi-user
>> capability". That's certainly an interesting project in itself but not
>> something that we should remotely consider in OSM.
>>

> Why shouldn't a user who adds a new feature to the db be allowed to
> 'suggest' how it appears on 'THE' map ? Once the feature is designed to be
> 'properly' rendered, the basic graphic tags can be removed.
> I'm suggesting that these additional basic tags are used on a temporary
> basis but would not oppose their permanent use if others agreed.
>
> --
> Mike.
> @millomweb <https://sites.google.com/site/millomweb/index/introduction> -
> For all your info on Millom and South Copeland
> via *the area's premier website - *
>
> *currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family,
> property & pets*
>
> T&Cs <https://sites.google.com/site/pmailkeey/e-mail>

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska