[Tagging] Tagging FOR the renderer

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Sun May 17 20:04:42 UTC 2015

W dniu 16.05.2015 9:55, Janko Mihelić napisał(a):
> It maybe controversial, but I think we don't want "everyone" editing
> the map. I think we need some barriers to filter out people who are
> "good" mappers. Good mappers have to understand this is not a service
> for them, but a community. They have to understand this is not a drawn
> map but a database. They have to appreciate the effort of others, and
> so on.

I think "everyone" editing the map is the way to go. We just need to be
prepared for vandalism if we get more popular - and Wikipedia clearly
shows it's possible.

Some people will do the technical stuff (servers, tagging schemes
crafting, rendering etc.), but most of them will only add buildings and
POIs in the neighborhood or visiting some places - and the long-tail
distribution says that is also the most of our database! So it is a
precious content, even if very basic.

> Of course, not everyone is a good mapper from the start, and starting
> to map should be easy and fun. And I think it is. But if you want to
> go to the next step and become a regular mapper, something not being
> rendered shouldn't be an obstacle for you to continue mapping it.

The most surprising (in a bad sense) for new mappers is probably
decentralized nature of the project. It's easy to start with iD, but
anything above clicking presets is a huge obstacle!

You have to start being active on some forums and lists, know a lot of
technical and social conventions, have a time to invest in developing a
single feature on this list, on wiki, then with rendering - and if you
even succeed in one of these places, they are so disconnected
(autonomous), that you have to deal with them separately. If you are not
stubborn geek and you want to try to map many different kind of objects
available locally, and are not interested in just one particular kind of
them, you will loose.

Micromapping is this kind of work and I suppose that is what average
mapper want to do, not crafting and dealing with proper global
definitions. And the main motivation is you can see it, not routing or
big data analysis. On the highest zoom levels we could easily show much
more currently missing features, so maybe we should remember that not
every object needs to be rendered on middle and large scale -
micromapping is all about micro scale and we don't even show highways
properly there, as if we live only on the middle and big scale, where
they are not considered to be areas!

down" [A. Cohen]