[Tagging] More flexible categories (was: Re: Removal of "amenity" from OSM tagging)

pmailkeey . pmailkeey at googlemail.com
Tue May 19 09:28:18 UTC 2015

On 19 May 2015 at 10:07, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on it.
>
> I believe most people don't care about the top-level tags. They just use
> with iD (or a preset in JOSM for the somewhat more advanced users) give
> them. Don't find it there ? just put name or do not map it. They don't
> start to look in the wiki. Forget that. They even don't know it, or it  is
> not translated in their language. I see it all the time here.
>
> we need better, dedicated apps to put POIs on the map. They (novices,
> occasional mappers) do not need a general editor.
>
> regards

Totally disagree Marc. Newbies won't feel welcome if they find it even
harder to edit the map. It's all very well having a simple tool to add a
POI but when they spot something else wrong, they may want to correct that
too - whatever it is. I'm all in favour of iD being the interface of choice
for everyone so that we can concentrate on it rather than considering a
collection of editors. Clearly it's not got the functionality of the other
editors but surely it can be adapted while still remaining a relatively
simple editor for newbies. iD has a long way to go to get to the perfect
state but it's only by perseverance that it'll get there.

--
Mike.
@millomweb <https://sites.google.com/site/millomweb/index/introduction> -

*currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property
& pets*

T&Cs <https://sites.google.com/site/pmailkeey/e-mail>