[Tagging] More flexible categories (was: Re: Removal of "amenity" from OSM tagging)

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Tue May 19 09:48:04 UTC 2015

It might be a bridge to far, but for some it might be comforting to add new
POIs and update existing ones without being able to break anything.

E.g. I think I never touched a cycleway for during my first 2.5 years of
mapping (mapping 4 years now). Only then I thought I knew enough about the
different  tagging schemes (on the road, separate, extra tagging on the way
in case of separate, moving cycle route relations, etc. etc.)
to give it a go. But even now, I'm not really confident that the changes I
make to cycle infrastructure is helping the routers. (and yes I've read a
lot about it, but that confuses me more :-)  )

What I try to say is that "mapping" is IMHO difficult and that scares away
a lot of people. Motivated people like you and me can easily start with iD
or JOSM or Potlatch, but others might be better of with something that only
allows them to make small edits. And they will be happy that they can
contribute stuff without the fear of breaking something.

regards