[Tagging] Airport power and USB stations

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun May 24 15:04:59 UTC 2015

There are two types of "big sides" (as far as charging is concerned):
USB 1/2/3 which we all know, and then there's USB type C - new,
reversible - not compatible cable-wise.

Also the max. charging current might be useful to know. At 500mA it
takes a loooooooong time to charge a tablet - so knowing there's a 2.1A
source round the corner is important information!

And then there's the Power Delivery specs, which allow for up to 5A @
20V. Don't know if there are any public charging points with PD but it
sure would be useful to know, if you happen to own a device which can
use it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_Power_Delivery

//colin

On 2015-05-24 16:45, Dave Swarthout wrote:

> Or is is what Todd mentioned (his post came just after I sent mine)? The various small USB connectors, mini-, micro-, etc., are designed for different appliances and vary in size. But the big side is standard.
>
> On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 6:42 AM, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> @Martin - I'm not aware of any different types of USB socket - are you referring to USB 2.0, and USB 3.0?
>
> If so, that can be handled by another tag, e.g. USB:version or USB:type.
>
> On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 2:40 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 24/05/2015 7:06 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
> Am 23.05.2015 um 20:08 schrieb pmailkeey . <pmailkeey at googlemail.com>:
>
> On 23 May 2015 at 17:47, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Wiki article clearly teaches that the amenity=charging_station tag was designed with vehicles in mind.
>
> Well if it's a VEHICLE charging station, it should have said that. They didn't specify what changing it was in the name - so it's surely open for all charging stations.

I tend to agree but it makes rendering more difficult, maybe we should
make indeed a transition to vehicle_charging_station Bit long winded...
how about

 vehicle_charging .. for motor vehicles

 bicycle_charging .. for bicycles

 and

 power_socket .. for power sockets ...

 the are all different things .. with different appearances and
requirements.

 This would get away from those presently tagged and provide for a clean
definition.

 They could all use the same socket= tag just as they would use the same
access, fee tags.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand