[Tagging] How to tag traffic islands ?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 22:41:34 UTC 2015

Here's a little story, completely off topic, that might amuse you. Back in
the 70s when the U.S. DOT decided to make right turns on red legal, the
Massachusetts DOT decided they didn't like it and refused to go along. The
federal government said, fine, you don't have to agree but you won't get
any more federal highway funds until you cooperate. Massachusetts quickly
passed the law but then posted almost every intersection in the entire
state with those "No Right Turn on Red" signs that are, as John observed,
quite rare everywhere else. Ridiculous but true. I was living in Boston at
the time and can attest to the fact that there were only a very few places
where you could go right on red.

Cheers,
Dave

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 7:59 PM, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> On Mon Nov 2 07:35:03 2015 GMT, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> > off topic:
> > Yes, I also learned that in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
> > Zebra crossing seem to have no meaning, red lights
> > at pedestrian crossings are ignored as long as it possible
> > to cross before or after the pedestrian. Sounds dangerous,
> > but seemed to work fine for everybody ;-)
> >
> > I think there is a general pattern:
> > In Germany almost no one dares to ignore a traffic light,
> > most people also stop at a stop sign, at least they slow down
> > to ~ 5 kmh.
> > I cycled a lot of countries in Europe, and I noticed that
> > in other countries a stop sign is  placed nearly everywhere,
> > which seems to have the effect that everybody treats it like
> > a "watch out" hint, not more.
> >
> Stop signs are relatively rare in the UK and are only used on
> difficult/more dangerous junctions. The most common sign used at junctions
> is a give way. When driving in other countries I have found stop to be over
> used.
>
> Phil (trigpoint)

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska