[Tagging] roundabouts without obstacles in the middle

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Wed Nov 4 10:03:28 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 05:35:53PM +0100, Colin Smale wrote:

> Hi Gerd,
>
> Personally from a navigation point of view I expect roundabouts and
> mini-roundabouts to be treated the same, i.e. "take the first exit at

They are currently not - Most navigational software basically does
not know about mini-roundabouts because they are difficult to
preprocess (One needs to add ways).

I'd like mini_roundabouts to disappear and be replaced with
an additional tag on a roundabout which tells about the existance
of an obstacle in the middle which makes it one less special case.

junction=roundabout
center_obstacle=clear/yes/no/drivable
roundabout=flat/obstacle

Whatever ... So processing a roundabout is ALWAYS the same from the
navigational perspective and changes only from route selection when
your vehicle is getting longer.

Flo
      We need to self-defend - GnuPG/PGP enable your email today!