[Tagging] Proposal: Sunset ref=* on ways in favor of relations

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 13:02:40 UTC 2015

On 06/11/2015 10:24, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Even in European cases, thanks to "E" routes in the EU, this is
> decidedly not a strictly North American situation.

Not really, or at least not across the board.  In some European
countries "E" roads are paper routes only - they're made up by non-local
beaurocrats, are unsigned, and irrelevant for all route planning purposes.

Obviously in places where a road can have multiple equivalent references
(such as the US) route relations perfect sense (as does figuring out
which routes are actually signed on which bits of road) but in places
where there's only one real ref per piece of tarmac (such as the UK)
there's no need to force mappers to start maintaining relations as well
as just recording the reference.

Routers ought to already know what country they're in when routing
(though the recent US maxweight discussion worries me that they may not
all do this) so it really shouldn't be an overhead for them.

Cheers,

Andy (SomeoneElse)