[Tagging] Named junctions

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 13:14:05 UTC 2015

Surely this is a rendering problem?

In other words, if there are many named traffic lights within a
certain distance of each other then only one symbol/name/whatever
should be rendered?  If the traffic lights are all tagged the same
then it ought to be even easier.

Adding an area with a tag is just a band-aid, plus it's a lot of work
for mappers.  If we can distil a rule from the data then the computer
can do all the work for us.  Unfortunately, writing software is also
hard, and we have to hope somebody else will do it, but having a clear
explanation of the task is a great help.

It could be something like "when a named traffic light node is found,
add it to a group with that name.  When it's time to label the map,
decide how much space is available for the label, depending on the
zoom level.  At low zoom, draw a single traffic light icon, centred on
the average of the nodes in the group.  At medium zoom, draw a single
icon and a label.  At high zoom, draw an icon for each node, and a
single label in the centre".  This would also work for single named
traffic lights (they are in a group of one).  Single unnamed traffic
lights would work if they are alone (i.e. on a simple junction).
Unnamed traffic lights close together would not work (because they can
not be grouped by name), but there could be a pre-processing step that
makes a group based on the nodes being close together, say within 10m
of each other.

A relation would also be a good solution.  Group the traffic lights
together and add them to a relation with the junction name.  Then
render icons and/or labels for each relation, based on the zoom level.
This would make the rendering code easier, but would be a lot of work
for mappers.

Andrew