[Tagging] Tagging dangerous intersections

Kieron Thwaites kieron.thwaites at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 09:24:13 UTC 2015

Hi,

I recently passed through an intersection in a particularly dodgy part
of town that actually had warning signs up, warning motorists that
said intersection is a hotspot for "smash and grab" robberies.  (If
anyone is interested, it's on Google Streetview too:
https://goo.gl/maps/kYkdMR9Kmpk)

I'd like to add this information to OSM -- certainly, it could be used
by routing software to avoid the area unless there was no other
sensible alternative.  However, I'm not sure how best to tag it.  The
only thing that I've found is the proposed "hazard" tag
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/hazard), but as
it seems to be in a permanent draft state (since 2009), I'm not sure
if this is the best solution.

Are there better, more current ways of tagging things like these, or
is the proposed "hazard" tag the best option?

(As an aside: if we go with the "hazard" tag, perhaps some work on
completing the proposal and getting it approved would be a good idea.
taginfo shows a few thousand usages to date.)

--K