[Tagging] amenity=bicycle_repair_station

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Nov 11 08:56:26 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:25 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com

>> > +1, "repair_station" is ambigous / can easily be misunderstood. Even
>> though
>> > "amenity=self_serve_bicycle_tool_stand" looks like an overkill on first
>> > sight, it is even more verbose and less likely to be misunderstood.
>>
>> What ambiguity of repair_station would be cleared by tool_stand or
>> tool_station ?
>

> it is the word "station" that could be interpreted as a shop / service
> station. "stand" does not bear this risk (for me). "tool_station" would be
> similarly ambiguous.

"Bicycle repair station" appears to be the common English name for this
kind of thing.  Here's what I got from various Google queries:

*Tool station* yields that this is literally the trademark of a specific
chain of tool stores in the UK.  Nope!
*Tool stand* gives results similar to "bicycle repair station", but with
metal/wood shop workbenches instead.  This is not what we intend, either.
*Bicycle tool stand* yields at-home/in-shop floor repair stands, close but
no cigar.
*Bicycle repair station* yields an image search sample of several popular
designs of the object in question.  This would suggest that we have a user
education problem, not a phraseology problem.