[Tagging] Does Google lack data?

André Pirard a.pirard.papou at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 03:43:57 UTC 2015

Hi,

I've been surprised when Searching Google for Щорса Кричев
<https://www.google.be/?gws_rd=ssl#q=%D0%A9%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%81%D0%B0+%D0%9A%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D0%B2>
to find the result Остановка - Щорса - Кричев - WikiRoutes.info
<http://wikiroutes.info/stops/220767>
which is a map containing the Google Logo but an OSM map (and Copyright,
is the logo decent?).
And notice that it's not an OSM background layer as usual, but OSM
itself !!!
(I wonder what routing that is. Beware, it's for public transport.)

Not believing my eyes, I made the request for Красная площадь wikiroutes
<https://www.google.be/?gws_rd=ssl#q=%D0%9A%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F+%D0%BF%D0%BB%D0%BE%D1%89%D0%B0%D0%B4%D1%8C+wikiroutes>
which is the Red Square.
and this time an answer was:  Остановка - Красная площадь - Москва -
WikiRoutes.info <http://wikiroutes.info/stops/21>
which is now a "real" Google map !!!

I seem to conclude that WikiRoutes.info uses Google when it contains
data and OSM otherwise.

And indeed Кричев is a place where friends of mine live and OSM is the
only way to see their house and neighbourhood. I wanted to add some
street names with the help of my friends and when I came back some time
later, it was already done, and beyond.

This should encourage us to continue, especially in under-mapped areas.

André.

  * Russian - detected
  * English

  * English