[Tagging] Opening hours + daylight saving time

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 23:55:49 UTC 2015

On 14/11/2015 9:03 PM, Robin Schneider wrote:

> On 14.11.2015 09:15, Warin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to combine daylight saving times with opening hours ... For example
>> open 8:300 to 17:00, except for daylight saving times where it is open 8:30
>> to 18:00.
>>

>> Possible ? opening_hours=ndst 8:30-17:00; dst 8:30-18:00
>>
>> where ndst = non daylight saving time dst = daylight saving time
>>
>> dst is suggested in
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/access_restrictions_1.5
> Hi
>
> This
> can already be expressed. Check
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:opening_hours#Daylight_Savings

Err no. That is an energy savings measure that is effective all year.

Daylight Savings Time (or Summer Time) is a periodic adjustment of the local clocks to make more effective use of the increased daylight available.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

The effective Daylight Savings Time dates change with the whim of some politicians/bureaucrats, so fixed dates cannot be used.

> When you really want to propose a better/shorter syntax for it I would
> recommend to use already defined timezone codes [1].
>
> [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_time_zone_abbreviations

Humm yes. I think. It would make my example

opening_hours=AEST 8:30-17:00; AEDT 8:30-18:00

where
AEST = non daylight saving time (Australian Eastern Standard Time)
AEDT = daylight saving time (Australian Eastern Daylight savings Time)

Note the change in closing time! During Daylight Savings Time the closing is one hour later.