[Tagging] Opening hours + daylight saving time

Robin Schneider ypid at riseup.net
Sun Nov 15 10:38:54 UTC 2015

On 15.11.2015 00:55, Warin wrote:
> On 14/11/2015 9:03 PM, Robin Schneider wrote:
>> On 14.11.2015 09:15, Warin wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I need to combine daylight saving times with opening hours ... For
>>> example open 8:300 to 17:00, except for daylight saving times where it
>>> is open 8:30 to 18:00.
>>>

>>> Possible ? opening_hours=ndst 8:30-17:00; dst 8:30-18:00
>>>
>>> where ndst = non daylight saving time dst = daylight saving time
>>>
>>> dst is suggested in
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/access_restrictions_1.5

Hi

>> This can already be expressed. Check
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:opening_hours#Daylight_Savings
>

> Err no. That is an energy savings measure that is effective all year.
>
> Daylight Savings Time (or Summer Time) is a periodic adjustment of the
> local clocks to make more effective use of the increased daylight
> available.
>
> Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
>
> The effective Daylight Savings Time dates change with the whim of some
> politicians/bureaucrats, so fixed dates cannot be used.

All right. Luckily most regions in Australia seem to have agreed on common
dates when the change to DST takes place [1]. But this is different for your
region? So whoever makes up those dates when the change takes place needs to
make a list … That makes things more difficult :( (like many other things when
working opening hours).

Just to get this straight, what did you mean with the energy savings measure
which is effective all year? Is that the reason for the individual dates made
up by politicians/bureaucrats?

Furthermore, since you now found a good reason to introduce timezone support
to opening_hours, could you write an proposal for it?

Things which would be nice to have in a proposal addressing your problem:

* URL to the definition list when the changes take place and for which region
* Those regions would need to be differentiable in OSM and preferable via
Nomination.

I see two different ways to tag this:

1. AEST 8:30-17:00; AEDT 8:30-18:00

+ Shorter
- - Might not be easy to see that AEDT is a timezone

2. tz=AEST 8:30-17:00; tz=AEDT 8:30-18:00

Just a thought but I expect that this is not really easier for the regular mapper?

+ key=value datatype in the opening_hours value
+ would allow more extentions to the syntax in the future which can follow
this format
+ 3 characters more for each rule

[1]:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Australia#Daylight_saving_time_.28DST.29

>> When you really want to propose a better/shorter syntax for it I would
>> recommend to use already defined timezone codes [1].
>>
>> [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_time_zone_abbreviations
>
> Humm yes. I think. It would make my example
>
> opening_hours=AEST 8:30-17:00; AEDT 8:30-18:00
>
> where AEST = non daylight saving time (Australian Eastern Standard Time)
> AEDT = daylight saving time (Australian Eastern Daylight savings Time)
>
> Note the change in closing time! During Daylight Savings Time the closing
> is one hour later.

- --
Live long and prosper
Robin `ypid` Schneider