[Tagging] improve tagging of traffic_calming

André Pirard a.pirard.papou at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 23:11:07 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-20 17:10, Rafael Avila Coya wrote :
> Hi:
>
> What happens when a traffic calming is a crossing for pedestrians at the
> same time? I have some examples in this avenue of my home town where I
> live: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1080908514
>
> I find it is more important to mark it as a highway=crossing than a
> highway=traffic_calming
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rafael.
Always the same discussion.  With LST syntax it's extremely simple.

highway=crossing   means that the attribute "crossing" applies to the
object "highway".
It is equivalent to:

highway=yes                    (void attribute)
highway:crossing=yes    means that the attribute "crossing" is true for
"highway"

Then we can *also* have
highway:traffic_calming=yes    means that the attribute
"traffic_calming" is *also* true for "highway"
And, finally, as, by default, an attribute applies to the main attribute
or, if it does not exist ("yes"), to the object,
this is syntactically equivalent:

highway=yes
crossing=yes
traffic_calming=yes

(and "yes" can be replaced with a (single) attribute of crossing and
traffic_calming if needed

Please note that this is a question of syntax. I am not discussing here
if we should use highway=* or not. I'm assuming you do.

Cheers=yes

André.