[Tagging] Sidewalk Tagging for Routing

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Nov 23 23:03:55 UTC 2015

I'm working with a local non-profit to tag sidewalks for wheelchair [1]
accessibility. Tagging sidewalks is usually done by either drawing in a new
way and often parallel to roads or tagging the highway with
sidewalk=left/right/both/none. Either of these produce acceptable results
for normal walking. My questions concern tagging the wheelchair slope.
Tagging slope when the sidewalk is tagged with highway=footway,
footway=sidewalk is pretty straight forward. Novices can be easily trained
to tag sidewalks this way. One of the issues with this arrangement is
routing the other is it adds to the number of features.

The other method, tagging sidewalks as features of highway=* would appear
to make routing much easier. Adding in tags for the kerb (curb) slope start
to increase the complexity. A typical tag for slope
is sidewalk:right:sloped_curb:start. iD can handle this tag by manually
entering the tag, but it increases the complexity to teach new mappers.
There is also the problem when a city decides to save money by adding the
slop the the corner of the intersection. Instead of 8 cuts, they only have
four. Taginfo only has 175 slopes [2]  tagged.

My goal is to provide a simple method to train novices to add sidewalks and
kerb ramps.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on how to approach this problem.

Clifford

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wheelchair_routing
[2]
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/sidewalk%3Aright%3Asloped_curb%3Astart