[Tagging] Sidewalk Tagging for Routing

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Tue Nov 24 00:14:14 UTC 2015

Current preference seems to be map sidewalks as separate ways tagged as `highway=footway + footway=sidewalk`.

1. As you mentioned, you can use sidewalk-specific tags (slope, surface) without affecting the adjacent highway.
2. The sidewalk and the road really are separate features.
3. New users like to trace and they are going to map it like this anyway.

I don’t really buy the “mapping sidewalks as part of the road makes routing easier" argument, but I don’t work on routing software so maybe there really is something complicated about routing that I am unaware of.