[Tagging] bicycle=use_sidepath applicable to bicycle lanes?

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 11:57:52 UTC 2015

@Martin

"loro riservate" (reserved for them): does this mean that combined
> foot/cycleways are not compulsory, because they are not reserved for
> bicycles?

These combined foot-cycle-ways in Italy are legally really pedestrian
sidewalks on which cyclists are tolerated (implicit speed limit fo 10km/h
for bicycles, and precedence for pedestrians). So it's consistent that they
are not compulsory for cyclists

> E.g. would it be compulsory to use this cycleway (besides it is in Rome,
> and bicycle:everything=permissive):
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/23953166#map=19/41.84844/12.48337
> (in osm it is quite long currently, but maybe we have to split it in parts
> that run along the road and parts that run in a distance to the road
> through the park).

Your example clearly illustrates a weakness in the definition of the
mandatory use.
It seems to be a nice smooth cycleway (so smooth hat it has a speed limit
of 20km/h), but a good lawyer could earn a lot of money when it comes to
the question whether this is a cycleway with mandatory use in case of a
serous accident with a cyclists on the nearby street. I don't know th
answer to the question whether this is or is not a mandatory-use cycleway.

Volker