[Tagging] intermittent vs seasonal

johnw johnw at mac.com
Sat Oct 3 04:14:15 UTC 2015

> On Oct 2, 2015, at 2:14 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> suggests replacement of
> waterway=wadi and waterway=drystream
> with
> waterway=river or stream
This is idiotic.

I’m going to start tagging Interstate 5 in San Diego as an intermittent river that just happens to be a motorway 99.95 percent of it’s life. I have hydroplaned down it for a good mile or so, so I’m going to say that is good enough to constitute an intermittent river.

A wash/wadi is a feature created /changed by water but used and navigated as a dry feature. it very very rarely has water.

I’m guessing the people who are interested in tagging “drystreams” (the fisrt time I have heard that), are not really familiar with what a wadi or a wash is, nor have spent time in them during their dominant dry state (nor seen them catastrophically flood).

Javbw