[Tagging] intermittent vs seasonal

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 12:37:50 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 03.10.2015 um 11:14 schrieb johnw <johnw at mac.com>:
>
> The people who live with washes and wadis call them washes and wadis and representing them in OSM as a river is ignoring regional conventions and trying to shoehorn temperate ideas into desert tagging. And rendering them like a river makes a crappier map.

I agree. Actually I believe wadis should be tagged as waterway=wadi while washes could get waterway=wash (don't know or care because there aren't any around here).

We don't call buddhist temples churches, why should we call washes wadi?

A wadi is a particular kind of intermittent watercourse and not a universal word for any similar kind.

cheers
Martin