[Tagging] intermittent vs seasonal

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 21:26:09 UTC 2015

> sent from a phone
>
>> Am 03.10.2015 um 11:14 schrieb johnw <johnw at mac.com>:
>>
>> The people who live with washes and wadis call them washes and wadis and representing them in OSM as a river is ignoring regional conventions and trying to shoehorn temperate ideas into desert tagging. And rendering them like a river makes a crappier map.
>
> I agree. Actually I believe wadis should be tagged as waterway=wadi while washes could get waterway=wash (don't know or care because there aren't any around here).

The only wadi I 'know' is the one in "Lawrence of Arabia" Wadi Rum ... I suspect others have as much knowledge of them and as many local features named wadi.
Thus I don't use this tag

> We don't call buddhist temples churches, why should we call washes wadi?
>
> A wadi is a particular kind of intermittent watercourse and not a universal word for any similar kind.

As I don't really know what a wash nor a wadi is I would not say what is is ... I'd leave it to others with more knowledge.